Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cowboy Caviar

This is a loosely adapted southwestern salsa-type dish. For guests, I serve this with tortilla chips. For me? I put it in a bowl with a spoon. This is a simple, but impressive, dish for parties and gatherings.

1 can black beans
1 can white beans (I used navy beans, its what I had)
1 can yellow corn
1 can white corn
4 small or 2 large tomatoes
2 green bell peppers
6 green onions
8 cloves garlic (or less to taste)
2 jalapeno peppers
1 small bunch fresh cilantro
1/3 c italian dressing (I used Kraft fat free zesty)

Dump corn and beans into a colander and rinse. Put them in a LARGE bowl.

Chop tomato, pepper, jalapeno and green onions. Add them to the bowl.

With a garlic press, mince the garlic. Add to bowl.

Finely chop the cilantro and add to bowl.

Add the dressing to the bowl (this is like, the secret ingredient). Stir it all up really well.

Nom.

This is best made the day before you want to serve it, so it can sit overnight and the flavors can meld together.

No comments: