Friday, January 9, 2009

Quick and Easy Weeknight Dinner

A few months ago I found what was labeled as Chinese Noodles in the supermarket. They were basically Ramen Style brick noodles without the seasoning pack, and with much less fat. I decided to pick them up. Then I didn't know what to do with them.

Last night we got home late from work and I needed something quick and easy. Teriyaki pork, always a good choice! But what with it? I saw the abandoned noodles, and decided to play. THe result was a very tasty noodle dish/soup.

All tolled, this took me less than a half hour to cook up.

Teriyaki Pork
bottled teriyaki sauce
bread crumbs
2 pork chops, trimmed of fat


If you have time the night before, marinate pork in teriyaki sauce. If not, no major loss.

Put the teriyaki in one bowl or bag, and the breadcrumbs in another.

Dip the pork chops in the teriyaki, coat with breadcrumbs.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Chinese Noodles
1/2 package Chinese Noodles (less if you don't want leftovers and yes, ramen bricks work fine here)
3 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 small onion
chopped broccoli
chopped cauliflauer
low sodium stock (i used beef, veggie would work here too)

Chop carrots and celery into slices, about 1/8" thick.

Chop onions into rough, large pieces.

Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Once boiling, add carrots, celery and onion and cook until tender-crisp.

Add noodles, broccoli and cauliflauer and boil for 3-4 minutes, stirring to separate noodles.

Serve as a soup in a bowl, or strain the noodles and serve on a plate.

This was such a great and filling easy weeknight meal. The husband loved it and I have enough noodles left to make a few lunches.

Also, this reminds me of one of the quick cooking tips I've picked up along the way for marinating meat. I buy meat in bulk packs, so three or four pounds of chicken or pork at once, and then separate it into two person servings. I then put each two person serving into a freezer bag WITH the marinade of my choice (make sure you label the bags). Freeze, and then when you leave for work in the morning, pull out a bag and defrost in the fridge. Voila. Yummy meat. Not so much fuss. This method has really decreased the amount of nights we get take out :)

No comments: